POLICY FOR EXCLUDING PATRON
FROM LIBRARY PREMISES
According to the Albemarle Regional Libraryís Disruptive Behavior Policy, persons who violate this code of conduct will be asked to cease by library personnel. After being warned, if behavior persists, then the violator will be asked to leave the premises. The first occurrence requiring staff to order person to leave results in the person being excluded from library premises for one month; the second occurrence earns loss of library privileges for two months; the third occurrence merits six months; any future occurrence earns twelve months.
If a person exhibits behavior that violates the code of conduct and constitutes a threat to other library patrons or library staff, then the library can ban a patron from the library premises by following the procedures outlined below:
1. Library staff members have the authority to ban from the library premises for predetermined time periods patrons whose inappropriate behavior has been documented adequately.† Staff will refer to and follow the procedures for applying any level of exclusion from the library.† This procedure details the process for banning an offending patron for periods less than one year.
2. In the event that a patronís behavior constitutes an imminent serious threat to Library property, other library patrons or staff, the Branch personnel may call the police for assistance.† In the presence of an officer of the law, staff will inform the patron that he/she is banned from the library for twelve months and is not to return.† A physical attack on library staff or other patrons results in a permanent banning of the attacker; formal charges are filed with local law enforcement.† Staff will inform patron that if he/she returns during that time, second-degree trespassing charges will be pursued against them.
4. If an individual who has been excluded attempts to return to the library premises, such an act will be considered trespassing and the police will be called to remove the person from the library premises.
5. Staff will notify the Library Director immediately or as soon as feasible (not to exceed 24 hours) of the incident and the action taken.
6. The Library Director has the authority to ban from the library premises for a period of twelve months any individual whose behavior is a sufficient threat to the ability of the library to operate in a safe manner or whose behavior prevents staff and/or patrons from using the library services, furniture, facilities and materials for their intended purposes. If the patron facing exclusion is under the age of sixteen (16), then banning will not occur until the personís parent(s) or guardian is notified in writing.†
7. Banning or exclusion from library premises denies the patron access to the building, grounds and services of any library within the Albemarle Regional Library system as well as from all telephone reference.† The patron may still access from an offsite computer the libraryís webpage and any databases available through that site.† However new passwords will not be issued during the period of exclusion.
8. If the individual who has been banned wishes to appeal this decision, then the notification must be made in writing to the Library Director within ten (10) days from the date of the exclusion. The appeal will be heard at the next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Trustees. Trustees will decide by a majority vote to uphold the exclusion if the behavior is a sufficient threat to the ability of the library to operate in a safe manner or if the behavior prevents staff and patrons from using the library services, furniture, facilities and materials for their intended use. The ban will be in effect until this vote is taken.† Trustees will instruct the Library Director to contact the person making such an appeal by letter and inform him/her of the decision of the Board.
9. It is the sole responsibility of the individual banned for twelve months to apply for reinstatement of library privileges; these are not automatically available at the end of the period of exclusion.† The person notifies the Library Director that he/she plans to attend the regular quarterly meeting of the Library Board of Trustees to request reinstatement of his/her library privileges.† This request may be made only after the twelve months has been completed.† Trustees will decide by a majority vote to lift the ban if the person is able to persuade them that his/her future behavior will not violate the Disruptive Behavior Policy, nor be a threat to the ability of the library to operate in a safe manner, nor prevent staff and patrons from using the library services, furniture, facilities and materials for their intended use.† The ban will be in effect until this vote is taken.† Trustees will instruct the Library Director to contact the person making such an appeal by letter and inform him/her of the decision of the Board.
CODICIL 1/23/08††††††† Following the reinstatement by the Regional Library Board of Trustees of a patron whose privileges had been revoked under this policy, it is understood that even one new violation of the Disruptive Behavior Policy can result in the individual being banned permanently from the Albemarle Regional Library system.
Adopted by Library Board of Trustees July 26, 2006; revised July 25, 2007.
Reference: North Carolina General Statute 14-132.